{Travel Diaries} Michigan Travels

/
0 Comments
This summer has held a lot of travel for me, and last week I was in Michigan visiting my boyfriend! It was a fun week that consisted of another mini trip, a film festival, and lots of lounging around together.

It took me six hours to drive there, but I did have a fun playlist to help me on my way! The first day I was there we headed straight to a bar to celebrate my birthday. Well more of a late celebration, since I turned 21 while I was abroad. The next couple days were full of excitement though!

The Traverse City Film Festival was occurring while I was in town, so we got to see lots of different movies.
The Open Space showing Guardians of the Galaxy
Michael Moore is the director and organizer of this festival, which takes place every year for a week. The TCFF has over 100 movies shown and has over 7 locations where people can enjoy watching the films. This year I watched three films; La Connection (The French), Guardians of the Galaxy, and When Marnie Was There. My favorite film was definitely When Marnie Was There, but that could be due to the fact that the film was made by Studio Ghibli. However, I did love the atmosphere of the Open Space, which is a giant outdoor screening area where we could watch movies for free at night. 

The other great highlight of my trip was my "special surprise" that Dylan had planned for my birthday. His mom kinda ruined the surprise by spilling the beans early, but it was a really nice celebration. Dylan planned and took me to Mackinac Island for the weekend!!

The trip was really fun! The island was a really unique place because there were no motor vehicles allowed on the island, meaning there were no cars anywhere on the island. Well, okay we saw one ambulance, but I feel like that is understandable and allowed. However, since there were no cars, all transportation was either by bicycle or by horse and carriage. It was really a cute island because people were riding bikes everywhere and there were horse drawn carriages everywhere!

We spend the weekend exploring the island in every way possible. We spent time biking around the whole island, hiking all the trails, and hanging out on the beaches. The difference about Mackinac Island beaches though is that there is no sand! All the beaches were rock beaches, so I enjoyed watching Dylan skip rocks. And well, I tried.. but that didn't work so well in my favor. The two of us also toured Fort Mackinac, since the island used to house a military fort for the British, then later the Americans. The rest of our time was spent being typical "fudgies" a term used to describe the tourists, since well we all go and buy fudge. To be fair, fudge is everywhere on that island!! So to fit in, Dylan and I went to Ryba and had some delicious peanut butter chocolate fudge.



The rest of my week in Michigan was a splendid time. I had the chance to just relax and hang out with Dylan, since I hadn't seen him since school. We also celebrated one of his friends 21st birthdays, and I have to say celebrating with guys is a lot different than having a party with girls. I had lots of fun though, and I can't wait to think when the next time I'll be back is!


You may also like

No comments: