{Book Review} Yes Please

/
0 Comments
After finally making it a goal to finish a book, I found the time to read Yes Please by Amy Poehler. This book was the perfect mix of story and humor and was perfect to read as a break from homework assignments and exams during the semester. 


I first heard of this book because of all the hype and the excitement surrounding its release date in 2014. I really enjoyed watching Poehler on Saturday Night Live and also in Blades of Glory, but I had never watched Parks and Recreation, so I wasn't sure what to expect from her new material. After reading the book, I firmly believe that it deserved all the hype it received before and after its release. Poehler does a good job of telling stories, and you can hear her own voice and humor come through. I really enjoy that this book is a telling of all of her stories, but she subtly throws some life lessons into the book too, such as she thinks all people should be polite and direct, hence the title Yes Please.

Amy Poehler's first book is both funny and witty, and I must say I love the amount of pictures that are included in the book too. Are all of the pictures necessary? Probably not, but it adds personality to the book and gives the reader a more personal connection and insight into Poehler's personal life. After all, this book was written for Poehler's fans to understand on another level her life and her thoughts and feelings. There are so many personal stories; her job, her childhood, her parents, and her children.

I like how the stories are personal and funny. And each story feels like two friends just getting together and talking, not that someone is just reading you a story. The style of writing is very casual and allows for a more relaxing read. Poehler never once sounds like she is talking down to her audience, as is fabled celebrities often do. I definitely recommend this book for anybody who wants a funny personal book. I've also read Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling and truly enjoyed that book too. So I recommend if you enjoyed that book, you will really enjoy reading Yes Please too!


TLDR
Would I recommend this book? Yes! This book is a no commitment book filled with personal, funny, and witty stories about Amy Poehler's life. Reflecting her life as not only a celebrity, but also as a normal down to earth human and mother of two.



You may also like

No comments: